Citizenship - Andre S. Boghosian


United States Passport and Passport Card

What to know before making travel arrangements

If you are a U.S. citizen and intend to travel abroad, you should have a U.S. passport or, at least a plastic passport card. Plastic card is enough if you intend to travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean Islands or Bermuda. The process of applying for passport is not so complicated and it even may be expedited if you pay additional filing fee to the Government.

If a child is under the age of 16, he is allowed to travel using his birth certificate, according to the The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

The law requires that a 16-year-old U. S. Citizen or older possess a non-expired passport when travelling abroad. Other acceptable documents that will allow USC child to travel outside the United States are trusted traveler card: NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST / EXPRESS), green card and enhanced driver’s license. To get the above mentioned cards, please visit:

The so-called “passport of the Citizen of the World”, which is issued by the World Government, the headquarters of which are located in Washington DC and Shanghai, has been recognized de-jure by six countries only, including Burkina Faso, Ecuador, Tanzania, Mauritania, Togo and Zambia. The official website of the World Government states that the information that “the passport of the citizen of the world” was recognized by 180 countries is not accurate. Stamps that were placed in the passports issued by the World Government do not necessarily mean that the governments of these countries recognize “the passport of the citizens of the world.”

To obtain a U.S. passport the applicants can call the National Passport Information Center at (877) 4USA-PPT (487-2778). For more information on obtaining a U.S. passport, visit: In order for a U.S. citizen to obtain a passport he/she can do it himself through the U.S Postal Service, without any intermediaries or additional payments.

To locate the closest Center that can officially help you get a U.S. Passport visit: Enter the zip code of your home address and you will immediately be offered addresses of the postal agencies located in the ten-mile radius around your house.

If you need to get a U.S. Passport in a few days for an urgent travel, you better go to the Federal Building located at 11000 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 1000, Los Angeles, CA 90024-3602. There you’ll be able to get a passport and passport card almost immediately. Applications are accepted from Monday through Friday from 7:30 to 2:30, excluding federal holidays.

The applicants need to call (877) 487-2778 to make an appointment in advance. The applicants will not be allowed to enter the building without an appointment receipt. In case the appointment letter is lost or misplaced the applicant can still enter the building using his Social Security number. Remember that the applicants will not be allowed into the Federal Building if they they arrive early or late.

Nobody will not be admitted more than 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment time and will not be admitted more than 30 minutes after the scheduled appointment time.

If a U.S. parent wants to get proof that his child is a U.S. citizen, he needs to file a separate petition. However, in most cases there is no need to file any petitions because it is possible to directly request passport without applying for any for a certificate of citizenship. If a child is under the age of 16, one of the parents must file a declaration of consent for a child to obtain passport, as well as form DS-3053 with an explanation of why he/she cannot get the consent of another spouse to obtain a passport for a child. It is preferable to notarize the Affidavits in that case.

For more information on the above subjects visit our website:

Please remember that the information in this article is not a substitute for legal advice, as the focus of this article is to provide general information and not specific advice. For advice to make an appointment or send questions via e-mail: aboghosian@hotmail or


Call (818) 507-8029 Regarding Immigration Reform

Andre S. Boghosian ©2020. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by WordPress. Theme by Phoenix Web Solutions

Skip to toolbar